Carrot + Lentil Coconut Curry with Cauliflower Rice
So, it still is hitting 90 degrees most days, but nonetheless, it’s October and that just tends to make me want more warm and cozy foods. This curry gives all the comforting feels, yet it’s still super light and clean. Using cauliflower rice instead of traditional rice is a good way to make the dish a little less heavy. We also used lite coconut milk and water for the “broth,” once again, so it isn’t so rich.
Lentils are the main component of substance, making this dinner a great source of clean, plant-based protein. Lentils are awesome, because they cook super fast relative to other legumes, plus they’re insanely good for you! They’re packed with fiber, folate, magnesium, and iron— all great for heart health, stabilizing blood sugar, increasing energy levels, and keeping you satiated.
Now, what makes a curry a curry, is the spices! We used a curry spice blend, but also added some extras. Curry has a distinct, bold flavor, and the spices in curry powder have INSANE health benefits. The spices in a curry blend are typically turmeric, coriander, ginger, and cardamom. These spices are all super anti-inflammatory and antioxidizing. They have been shown to protect against chronic illnesses like heart disease and Alzheimer’s, while also boosting gut health, bone health, and immune system. We added additional turmeric and ginger, plus Himalayan salt, black pepper, and red curry paste. Black pepper helps us better absorb turmeric, so be sure to add that to fully reap the benefits. The red curry paste makes it spicy, so add as little or as much as you want to get the heat where you want it. Add in whatever additional veggies you’d like. We added in lots of spinach at he end, but some other good additions would be cabbage, mushrooms, broccoli, or cauliflower.
Ingredients: makes 3-4 servings
1 package of cauliflower rice
4 large rainbow carrots
3 Cups spinach (about equal to 2 large handfuls)
1/2 Cup lentils (dry— before cooking)
1/2-1 whole can lite coconut milk (we did about 3/4)
1 Tbsp olive oil
additional turmeric and ginger
red curry paste (to taste— we did 1 Tbsp)
pink Himalayan salt
basil (for garnish)
water (for desired consistency— we did about 1/2 cup)
1. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil with 1/2 cup lentils in a saucepan.
2. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
3. While lentils simmer, peel rainbow carrots and chop into rounds.
4. Warm 1-2 tsp olive oil in a pan on medium high heat, and add the carrots. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring and flipping.
5. After they begin to become tender, add in the cauliflower rice with an additional 1-2 tsp olive oil and cook for 4-5 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to a simmer, and add in the coconut milk and all of the seasonings, including the curry paste.
7. Add in the lentils when they’re done cooking and let everything simmer for an additonal 3-5 minutes, adding in the water during this time to get your curry to the consistency you like, and the spinach last, so as to just slightly cook it.
8. Serve in a bowl and garnish with basil.
#curry #Vegan #Plantbased #Recipe #Dinner #Cauliflowerrice #Glutenfree #Dairyfree #Coconutcurry #lentil