Purple Sweet Potato Burgers with Crispy Rosemary
Updated: Apr 5
Spring is here and Summer is upon us, which means, grilling time (yessss). All of the delicious herbs are coming into season, and right now, we are all about spicing up our dishes with those. When the warmer months come around there are lots of "grilling out by the pool" moments, and while many of us would love to have a greasy cheeseburger, that just doesn't go well with the lean poolside bods we're going for. Of course you can indulge once in a while when that craving really hits you. That's when you have that burger, and you enjoy it, and you don't feel guilty about it for a second! There's no room for guilt when you know that the majority of the time you are putting good, real, whole foods into your body.
When that grill out mood does come over you, try this recipe. The purple sweet potatoes actually have a less sweet taste than typical orange sweet potatoes, their color is gorgeous, and they provide lots of vitamins. These patties are protein-packed, too, with hemp seeds, mushrooms, and kale. Clean protein, minimal ingredients, healthy fats, insane amount of nutrition. Our favorite part about these burgers? Topping them off with avocado and crispy fried rosemary. The added flavor and texture is ahh-mazing. There's two variations of the burger: one with an egg and one without. If you are vegan, omit the egg but know that the patties will be more delicate and do not stay together as well, but it tastes just as good! This recipe can be served with a fresh salad, grilled squash and zucchini, or roasted broccoli. Here's what you'll do.
Ingredients: *Makes 4 large patties
1 large purple sweet potato
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cups kale
1/4 sweet onion
1 egg (omit if vegan)
sprig of rosemary
avocado slices for topping
Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
salt + pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Thoroughly wash your potato, poke a few holes with a fork or knife on each side of the potato, loosely wrap into foil, making a pouch
3. Bake for 25 minutes
4. While the potato bakes, chop the onion, garlic, and mushrooms
5. Heat about 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a pan on medium high, then add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms
6. Once the onions and mushrooms become tender, add in the kale and cook for 3-4 more minutes
7. Remove from heat and place in a mixing bowl. Add the hemp seeds and seasoning to the mixture
8. Once the potato is done, roughly chop it, place it in a bowl, and use a fork or masher to mash the potato
9. Once the potato is mashed and slightly cooled off, add it to the mixing bowl along with the egg, and use your hands to combine all of the ingredients
10. Use your hands to form patties with the mixture
11. Using the same pan from before, heat about 1/2 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat, and add the patties to the pan
12. Cook on each side for about 5-6 minutes or until as brown and crisp as you'd like then remove from the pan.
13. In the same pan, pull rosemary leaves off of the sprig and allow them to crisp up in the pan for about 2-3 minutes
14. Top your patties with avocado slices and crispy rosemary, and enjoy!
#burger #Veggieburger #Sweetpotato #Sweetpotatoburger #Summerrecipe #Healthydinner #Recipe #grill #Barbecue #Gameday