Updated: Nov 23, 2021
Who doesn't love a good spinach artichoke dip?! If we had to pick our favorite "party food" it might just be that. It's the appetizer that pleases almost anyone. Our mom makes it when she hosts parties, and it's killer. Hers is just the way we like it... super spinach-y (totally making up that word) and creamy, but not overly creamy or drowning in butter.
We wanted to give spinach dip a bit of a healthy makeover by making it a bit less heavy and making it dairy free/vegan without compromising taste or any of that spinach-y, creamy goodness. #Superbowl Sunday seemed like the perfect excuse to try it out and test it on a group of friends, and it was a success!
Makes a large batch, good for a group of 15-20
1 small yellow onion
2 Tbsp ghee (for df or sub olive oil for vegan)
2 packages of frozen spinach (10 oz ea)
1/3 C cashews
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 can artichoke hearts
6-8 oz of vegan cream cheese (Daiya or Kite Hill)
1/2 C vegan mozzarella shreds (Daiya or other vegan brand)
salt, pepper, paprika, and crushed red pepper to taste
optional: juice of a lemon
1. Finely chop the onion and add to a large pan with the ghee or olive oil on medium high heat. Saute until the onion is tender.
2. Add in the spinach, season, and saute until tender.
3. Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine the cashews, water, and nutritional yeast and blend until smooth.
4. Chop the artichokes and add them along with the "cashew "cheese" to the spinach.
5. Add in the vegan cream cheese (we used about 6oz, or about 2/3 of the package, but feel free to add all 8 oz if you prefer it creamier.).
6. Sprinkle in about 1/4 C of the vegan mozzarella and stir it in with everything. Add additional seasoning if needed. Squeeze in the juice of a lemon if you wish.
7. Pour the spinach dip into a baking dish, top it with another 1/4 C of vegan mozzarella, and broil it in the oven on high until the cheese on top is golden brown. Only takes 5 or so minutes so keep an eye on it!
8. Serve with tortilla chip. We recommend Siete grain free chips!