It's Taco Tuesday, y'all. That means, shrimp tacos for dinner tonight. We want to make sure we are getting tons of veggies in at dinner time (and all the time), so we serve this up with a Chopped Salad that pairs great with the tacos. When you hear tacos you may immediately associate them as "unhealthy." Think again. We love taking classic, feel-good meals and creating super healthy, yet satisfying alternatives for them. This recipe even subs plain greek yogurt for sour cream (shhh, don't tell your boyfriend, 'cause he won't notice the difference.) If you are dairy-free, we have tried this substitution with plain coconut yogurt as well, and while there's a very subtle coconut flavor it compliments the lime nicely, making it a great option.
Of course, if Bare Nutrition develops a recipe it's gonna be quick and simple. That's kind of our thing if you haven't caught on yet (see this dinner recipe for another quick idea). You don't need to sacrifice health or taste just because you've had a crazy, busy day. One cheat we have when it comes to using shrimp in a recipe when you're short on time is to buy it wild-caught, frozen, peeled and de-veined. All you have to do is thaw it out by letting it sit in a bowl of cool water. You can thaw the shrimp while you get other stuff done around the house, or while you start prepping the rest of dinner.
juice of a lemon
salt + pepper
shrimp (~4 per taco)
juice of lime (~1/4 lime per taco, whole lime for shrimp)
salsa of choice
can of black beans
fresh jalapeno (optional)
plain greek yogurt or coconut yogurt (optional sour cream substitute)
1 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
salt + pepper
1. Begin thawing shrimp if frozen by letting it sit in a bowl of cool water.
2. Rinse and drain black beans. Place in a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder.
3. Begin preparing salad by washing and chopping romaine. Chop red onion finely. Cut cherry tomatoes in half.
4. Heat olive oil or avocado oil in a pan on medium-high heat.
5. Add shrimp to the pan, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cumin. Squeeze juice of a lime into pan. Cook about 3 minutes each side.
6. While the shrimp cooks, finish preparing salad by adding avocado, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
7. Chop jalapeno.
8. Construct your tacos. Take a corn tortilla, add black beans, salsa, cabbage, and shrimp. Top with jalapeno, greek yogurt, cilantro, avocado slices. Serve with additional wedge of lime.