When it comes to seasonal foods, fig season might be our favorite. Yeah, yeah, we know every basic girl out there is obsessed with pumpkin spice season, and we are too, but you know we always gotta be a little different.
Plus, figs are kind of a part of our culture and are a little nostalgic for us, too. They’re grown in Italy, specifically in Sicily, which is where our grandparents are from, so we had them a lot when we hung out at grandma and grandpas.
Figs are also filled with beautifying vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Not to mention they taste sweet and look beautiful, making them the perfect little addition to these cookies. We decided to create a really easy recipe that’s vegan and gluten free so everyone can enjoy. They’re soft and chewy, and taste amazing in the fridge. We also like to keep a couple in the freezer, too as they even maintain their chewy texture when frozen.
4 T coconut oil
1 T coconut butter (may sub for another T of coconut oil)
2 T coconut milk (may sub almond milk)
3 T coconut nectar (may sub maple)
4 large figs
2 C + 2 T almond flour
1/4 C unsweetened coconut shreds
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. In a bowl, combine the coconut oil, coconut butter, an coconut milk.
3. In a blender or food processor, blend together 2 of the figs with the coconut nectar (It’s ok if there’s some texture). Add to the bowl.
4. In another bowl mix together the almond flour, coconut shreds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the “wet ingredients” bowl little by little until combined.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, form the dough into little balls (about 1 T of dough), and space out on the sheet.
7. Cut the remaining 2 figs into little slices (we cut round slices then cut the rounds into crescents). Press the fig into the tops of the dough.
8. Bake for 11-13 minutes, then allow to completely cool.
9. May store at room temp, but we recommend the fridge or freezer (tastes amazing, better consistency, and they last longer!)