We're going through a little lettuce wrap phase right now. They are quick and easy, really light and healthy, yet so good and satisfying! So many different combos or flavors you could go with... and these, you haveee to try. The sauce for the tempeh is everything: a little spicy, a little sweet, and a little tangy. You will love it!
Plus, becuase we used tempeh, these are vegan and packed with plant-based protein. If you're not a tempeh fan, do this with firm organic tofu or seitan. If you're not a fan of any of that, and you are not vegan, apply the same recipe to diced chicken. No problemo.
Ok, we pretty much ALWAYS say our recipes are quick and easy, and that's because they are, and that's because we pretty much NEVER want to spend a lot of time cooking. We actually think it's a key factor to success in maintaining a consistently healthy, nutritious diet. We enjoy trying new recipes and keeping things interesting and tasty, but we'll simply only do that if it's going to be simple and not take too much time or effort. Agree? If yes, do yourself a favor and make this recipe.
Ingredients: Serves 2
For the wraps:
romaine or butter lettuce (recommend about 2-4 lettuce cups per person/serving)
tempeh (about 1/4-1/3 block per person/serving)
avocado, a few slices per cup
2 Green onion
cilantro, to taste
black sesame seeds, to taste
salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
2 Tbsp coconut aminos
1 Tbsp minced ginger or ginger powder
1 Tbsp ginger lime hot sauce (may sub for hot sauce of choice)
2 tsp coconut nectar (may sub for maple)
1 tsp sesame oil
Juice of 1 lime
1. Chop block of tempeh into small cubes.
2. Warm up a pan to medium high heat with a little avocado oil, coconut oil, or olive oil.
3. Chop the green onion, separating the white from the green, add the white to the pan, and set the green aside for later.
4. Add the tempeh to the pan, and season with salt and pepper. Every minute or so, stir and flip.
5. While it cooks, shred and chop your carrots and cucumber.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the sauce.
7. Once the tempeh is slightly golden, reduce the heat to a simmer, and add in the sauce. Fully coat the tempeh then remove from heat.
8. Prepare a leaf of romaine or leaf of butter lettuce, and compose the wraps with the tempeh, then add your carrot, cucumber, avocado, cilantro, the left over green onion, and sesame seeds as toppings.