We’re kind of obsessed with zoodles (a.k.a zucchini noodles). Some variation of zoodles gets made for dinner nearly every week, because it’s just such a quick, easy, nutritious meal to make; a Bare staple. We’ve got several recipe ideas for zucchini noodles here on the blog, just search “zoodles” in the search bar, or click the links within this post. We have our Italian-Style zoodle recipe with a vegan cashew “alfredo” sauce, or our Asian-Style zoodle recipe with sweet chili sauce. This particular recipe is Mexican-Style with an avocado lime sauce. YUM. You can also do your own thing and mix and match with different veggies, proteins, and sauces. Sautè any veggies then toss them together with beans, shrimp, ground turkey, or diced chicken and then add in the zucchini noodles with a sauce like marinara, pesto, or any of the ones we’ve shared, mentioned above. You could also do a simple drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice with salt and pepper!
This Mexican-Style Zoodle recipe has so much nourishment, making it super filling and satisfying (plus the flavor has a nice kick to it!). Using zucchini noodles as a base of a Mexican meal, instead of the typical rice or tortilla, makes this low starch and in addition, provides a big veggie serving. Zucchinis are a high-volume food, meaning that they have a high water content and lots of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes. In other words, you can have a large portion at a minimal caloric expense, yet with tons of nutrition. The black beans serve as a protein component, as well as give you lots of fiber, which is great for keeping you fuller longer. If you’d like an additional protein source, this would taste great with seasoned chicken or shrimp as well. As for the sauce, it’s made creamy by using avocado— your source of healthy fats. BUT, there’s also a secret ingredient in the sauce.... BROCCOLI! This is another way to volumize the meal (more nutritional value, low caloric cost). If you’ve got kiddos who have trouble eating their vegetables, or maybe you even struggle with getting veggies into your diet, this sauce is your new best friend. No one will have any idea there’s broccoli in there. The best part about alllll of this is that this meal takes just 20-25 minutes to throw together.
Ingredients: serves 3-4
-2 zucchinis (1/2-1 whole zucchini per person serving)
-1/2 red onion
-1 red bell pepper
-1 cup mushrooms
-1/2 can of organic corn
-1 can organic black beans
-fresh jalapeño (optional- slices for topping)
-1-2 tsp olive oil
Avocado Lime Sauce
-1 cup broccoli
-1 lime’s juice
-1 tsp olive oil
-1/2 C cilantro
-1 garlic clove
-salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin
1. Chop red onion and bell pepper.
2. Warm 1-2 tsp olive oil in a pan on medium heat, then add the onion and bell pepper.
3. Slice mushrooms and add them to the pan.
4. Add the corn to the pan, season everything with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Meanwhile, spiralize the zucchinis.
6. Add the zoodles and the black beans to the pan. Sauté for about 5 more minutes.
7. Meanwhile, make the sauce by adding all ingredients to a blender or food processor.
8. Once sauce texture is smooth, add desired amount of the sauce into the pan, and stir so that everything is coated in the sauce.
9. Chop desired amount of cherry tomatoes into halves, add them into the pan, and turn off the heat.
10. If desired, add jalapeño slices for topping, and serve!