Summer is in full effect. We personally love the heat and all that comes with it-- hanging by the pool, getting some sun, and being barefoot every chance we get. One of our favorite parts, though? All of the seasonal produce! Seriously. Summer fruits and veggies are THE BEST (melons and pineapples, we're talking to you!). We also are a huge fan of listening to our bodies and being in sync with nature, and what we tend to want in the Summer time is that juicy, sweet produce that makes for light, refreshing meals. When its 100 degrees, it's not time for stews, pasta, or other heavy meals. It's time for things like barbecued chicken, grilled fish, salads, fresh herbs, lots of citrus, and summer fruits and veggies. Things that make you feel lean and energized, taste amazing, and work well with your body in the heat of summer.
This dinner right here is perfect for alllllllll of that, and it makes for a crazy good meal. A nice piece of in-season, wild-caught fish for your protein, a garnish of mango jalapeño salsa for that refreshing, juicy component, some cilantro lime jasmine rice with coconut milk for your clean starch and healthy fats, and a side salad to get your greens in there. Does that not sound amazing? We know the answer is yes. If you're also thinking it sounds complicated to you, we promise it's not! If you've tried any of our past recipes you know they're always pretty quick and very straight forward. The rice cooks while you prep the fish, the fish cooks while you prep the salad and salsa, then you just put it all together. We used snapper, which is currently in-season, and it was amazing. This would also work well with Mahi Mahi or another white, flakey fish. Super easy. Super delicious. Super healthy. Super summer-y. Here's what you do:
-wild-caught fresh snapper (a single serving is ~4-6 oz)
-jasmine rice (~1/3- 1/2 cup cooked is as a single serving)
-can organic unsweetened coconut milk
-1/4 large avocado
-1 fresh jalapeno
-1/4 red onion
-avocado oil spray
-pink salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring ¾ cup water with ½ cup jasmine rice to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes (this will make enough rice for about 2 servings, or 1 with a little extra).
3. While the rice cooks, spray a baking sheet with avocado oil, place the snapper on the baking sheet, then spray the snapper with avocado oil. Season by squeezing the juice of ½ lime and sprinkling with pink salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
4. Bake the fish for about 12 minutes.
5. While the fish and rice finish cooking, put together your side salad with as much romaine as you'd like and 1/4 large avocado. Dress by squeezing with juice of 1/2 lime, salt and pepper to taste.
6. Make salsa by combining finely chopped red onion, finely chopped jalapeno, cubed mango, juice of 1/2 lime, and cilantro to taste.
7. Finish the rice by adding about 1/4 cup coconut milk (shake the can very well before opening), juice of 1/2 a lime, pink salt, pepper, and cilantro to taste. Stir together.
8. Plate your rice, salad, and fish. Top the fish with the mango jalapeno salsa (it's also delicious to add any extra salsa to your romaine salad!).